Who knew? Jason Derulo really loves Disney. Yes we’re talking about the singer. Yes we’re talking about that guy whose lyrics include, “Cause you know what to do with that big fat butt…wiggle, wiggle wiggle.” Yes we can hardly believe it ourselves. But maybe that’s because it’s a Friday afternoon and it has been a long week.
To prove his love, Derulo has recorded a cover of his favourite Disney song ‘Can You Feel the Love Tonight?’, made famous by The Lion King feat Elton John. Luckily the man with the most well-groomed beard in the biz hasn’t changed much of the song. Or added a Snoop Dogg rap halfway through. Or added some grunting noises. Because, y’know, that would be really inappropriate.
Jason said in an artist statement video about the song:
“I felt like it was the song that touched me the most out of all Disney movies, out of all Disney songs that I’ve experienced. When that song plays within the Lion King, it just makes you feel something. It brings you to tears.
Bit like listening to your album then, Derulo. Although we’re not sure that they’re good tears.
Have a listen to Can You Feel The Love Tonight (if you can bear it) here:
So, um…what the heck?
So why the hell has Jason recorded this song? It’s for a simple, yet mind-bogglingly weird, reason: it’s just one track on a new We Love Disney album which also features covers from stars including NE-YO, Gwen Stefani, Jessie Ware, Jessie J and Fall Out Boy. It’s a really bizarre mix of people. If we weren’t snacking on pumpkins and drinking hot chocolate, we would have assumed that we’d somehow fallen through the cracks of time and woken up on April Fools Day. But alas, this is actually happening.
Here’s the full We Love Disney tracklist:
- NE-YO “Friend Like Me” (Aladdin)
- Jessie J “Part of Your World “(The Little Mermaid)
- Jason Derulo “Can You Feel the Love Tonight / Nants’ Ingonyama” (The Lion King)
- Gwen Stefani “The Rainbow Connection” (The Muppet Movie)
- Ariana Grande “Zero To Hero” (Hercules)
- Jhené Aiko “In a World of My Own/Very Good Advice” (Alice in Wonderland)
- Fall Out Boy “I Wan’na Be Like You (The Monkey Song)” (The Jungle Book)
- Tori Kelly “Colors of the Wind” (Pocahontas)
- Kacey Musgraves “A Spoonful of Sugar” (Mary Poppins)
- Charles Perry “Ev’rybody Wants To Be a Cat” (The Aristocats)
- Jessie Ware “A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes” (Cinderella)
- Lucy Hale & Rascal Flatts “Let It Go” (Frozen)
- Various Artists “It’s a Small World”
And the bonus tracks on Deluxe CD, Vinyl, and Picture Disc include:
- Brenna Whitaker “It’s Not Easy Being Green” (The Muppet Show)
- Yuna “A Whole New World” (Aladdin)
If you’re feeling like this is something you could really get behind, then your luck’s in. The We Love Disney album is now available to download. Please let us know if it’s any good. We’re still trying to wrap our brains round it.
What do you think about We Love Disney? Would you listen to it? While you’re here, why not read some of our related content, including 10 Awesome Disney Movies We Bet You’ve Forgotten About and Disney Fans: Prepare To Go Nuts At This Aladdin News!